Take a look around

Wednesday, July 25

When In Japan

I've been thinking recently and I came to the conclusion that I don't have many running features on here, I've got Grab Your Cards installments that come around when there are some deals to be taken advantage of, but apart from that not much. So, as you can see I've decided that I'm going to make the the When In Japan posts a feature.

From a young age I was fascinated with Japanese culture - more specifically anime, Dragon Ball, the music but not so much the dress. It wasn't until the Gwen Stefani and her crew of Harajuku Girls did I begin getting into the clothing. At first I was 'what's happening', 'why's everything so colourful', 'who taught you how to colour coordinate?'. As time went on an appreciation of the eclectic nature of the dress sense of the Far Easterners and culminated in taking inspiration from it.


I think the first Japanese brand I knew of was Comme des Garcons, this came in the midst of my obsession with street brands - Stussy, Supreme and Carhartt - and seeing this other side where it'd look all 'cool' and had this dishevelled look whilst also being really timeless and structured. It was weird, an oxymoron of sorts. My interest in Comme des Garcons led to finding others such as Undercover, Junya Watanabe and more recently, my personal favourite, Kapital.


I owe my discovery in part to jamesrmcnally and dipping in and out of following Tokyo Fashion Week so this feature is a tool I can use as way of future educating myself and you guys of course of this fascination I have. I hope you all enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment